|VTCT Product Code: AB20492||GLH: 315 - 328||Age Restriction: 16|
|Qualification Number: 600/8661/0||Units: 10 - 16||Registration End Date: 31st Jul 2019|
|Level: 2||Minimum Credits: 41|
Who is this qualification for?
The VTCT Level 2 Diploma in Beauty Therapy (Make-up) (QCF) is a substantial vocational qualification for learners seeking a career as an employed and/or self-employed beautician/make-up artist. This qualification is based on the beauty therapy National Occupational Standards (NOS) and is recognised by the UK's leading professional bodies, The British Association of Beauty Therapy and Cosmetology (BABTAC) and the Federation of Holistic Therapists (FHT) as being fit for purpose for preparing learners for a career as a junior beautician/make-up artist.
Entry onto this qualification can be via previous attainment of a Level 1 qualification in beauty therapy and/or a successful skills test and interview.
Why is this qualification most suitable?
This is one of two VTCT qualifications in beauty therapy (make-up) at Level 2. Whilst both qualifications qualify learners to become a junior beautician/make-up artist, this qualification allows learners to gather evidence in a realistic working environment or real working environment without the need for fee paying clients. In contrast, the VTCT Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Beauty Therapy Make-up (QCF) requires learners to work in a commercial salon whereby assessments must be carried out on real paying clients in line with commercial service times.
What does this qualification cover?
This qualification has been specifically designed for the 16-19 age groups, and will develop the knowledge and skills to prepare learners for employment as a junior beautician/beauty specialist. Learners will have their beauty therapy skills assessed in a real or realistic working environment.
This qualification includes all the required elements to work effectively as a junior beautician/beauty specialist including: applying make-up, instruction on make-up, the art of photographic make-up, client care and health and safety.
Learners will further develop their understanding and skills by selecting a number of optional specialist units which include: the application of tanning techniques, removing hair using alternatives to wax such as threading or sugaring, eyelash perming, ear piercing or the creative skill of nail art, salon reception duties and displaying and promoting retail products - the full list of optional units is presented in the learners Record of Assessment book (ROA) (specification). This structure of this qualification provides learners with the flexibility to develop their knowledge, understanding and skills depending upon their designated career pathway as a junior beautician/ make-up artist.
What could this qualification lead to?
Career opportunities exist in a variety of contexts as a junior beautician /make-up artist, including:
- Working in commercial beauty salons
- Working in a retail concession in a department store
- Working independently/self-employed/mobile/home-based settings
- Working as a junior make-up artist
Whilst this qualification's primary purpose is to prepare learners for employment as a junior beautician/ make-up artist, learners may choose to develop their skills further by undertaking Technical Level qualifications in beauty therapy at Level 3, these include:
- VTCT Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Beauty Therapy General (QCF)
- VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Beauty Therapy Studies (QCF)
- VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Beauty Therapy Studies (Make-up) (QCF)
- VTCT Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Beauty Therapy Make-Up (QCF)
- VTCT Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Beauty Therapy Massage (QCF)
- VTCT Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Nail Services (QCF)
Progression opportunities also exist in the form of specialist VTCT vocationally related qualifications:
- Level 3 Diploma in Fashion, Theatre and Media Hair and Make-Up Studies (QCF)
- Level 3 Diploma in Make-Up Artistry (QCF)
- Level 3 Diploma in Theatrical, Special Effects and Hair and Media Make-Up (QCF)
- Level 3 Diploma in Nail Technology (QCF)
- Level 3 Diploma in Massage Therapy (QCF)
- Level 3 Diploma in Spa and Body Treatments (QCF)
- Level 3 Diploma in Beauty Therapy Treatments (QCF)
- Level 3 Certificate in Fashion and Photographic Make-Up (QCF)
- Level 3 Certificate in Swedish Massage (QCF)
- Level 3 Certificate in Stone Therapy Massage (QCF)
- Level 3 Certificate in Indian Head Massage (QCF)
- Level 3 Certificate in Camouflage Make-Up (QCF)
- Level 3 Certificate in Micro Dermabrasion Treatments (QCF)
- Level 3 Certificate in Epilation (QCF)
- Level 3 Certificate in Facial Electrotherapy (QCF)
- Level 3 Certificate in Face and Body Art (QCF)
- Level 3 Certificate in Massage Using Pre- Blended Aromatherapy Oils (QCF)
- Level 3 Award in Lash Extensions (QCF)
- Level 3 Award in Advanced (Intimate) Waxing Techniques (QCF)
- Level 3 Award in Tanning Treatments (QCF)
- Level 3 Award in Spa Treatments (QCF)
- Level 3 Award in Nail Art (QCF)
- Level 3 Award in Airbrush Make-Up (QCF)
Mandatory - from this group you'll need to cover a minimum of 6 components and earn a minimum of 26 credits.
|Unit Code||Unit Ref||Unit Title||Level||Credits||GLH|
|UV20398||A/601/3987||Provide facial skincare||2||7||56|
|UV20402||M/601/4361||The art of photographic make-up||2||4||30|
|UV20438||L/601/4223||Instruction on make-up application||2||5||34|
|UV20453||A/601/4458||Client care and communication in beauty-related industries||2||2||20|
|UV20483||R/600/8763||Follow health and safety practice in the salon||2||3||22|
Optional - from this group you'll need to cover a minimum of 4 components and earn a minimum of 15 credits.
|Unit Code||Unit Ref||Unit Title||Level||Credits||GLH|
|UV20419||F/601/3554||Provide eyelash and brow treatments||2||4||36|
|UV20420||H/601/3563||Apply skin tanning techniques||2||4||30|
|UV20423||A/601/3570||Body art design||2||4||30|
|UV20439||F/601/5482||Provide ear piercing||2||2||17|
|UV20442||D/601/5487||Provide threading services for hair removal||2||4||29|
|UV20446||A/601/4217||Remove hair using sugaring||2||4||29|
|UV20472||L/601/4450||Provide nail art||2||3||24|
|UV20473||H/601/5877||Provide eyelash perming||2||2||20|
|UV20489||A/600/8773||Salon reception duties||2||3||24|
|UV20490||J/600/8761||Display stock to promote sales in a salon||2||3||24|
*For full details of the Rules of Combination for this qualification please see the Qualification Specification/Record of Assessment book.
VTCT accredits centres to offer our qualifications, but cannot advise which centres are running particular courses at any time. Please contact the centre directly to find out if they currently offering your chosen qualification.
NB: The location displayed for each centre is based upon the centre's main address. The location displayed is not necessarily the only location that the centre can deliver VTCT qualifications from. For further information on a centre's delivery capabilities please select the centre's website address.