VTCT Level 2 Certificate in Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy (VRQ)
If you require further assistance with VTCT's qualifications please do not hesitate to contact us:
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or Telephone: +44 (0) 2380 684500
The VTCT Level 2 Certificate in Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy (VRQ) has been designed in line with recent policy developments, including the Review of Vocational Education - The Wolf Report (March 2011) and meets the Department for Education's (DFE's) characteristics for high-quality and rigorous qualifications.
The VTCT Level 2 Certificate in Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy (VRQ) has been accredited by the qualification regulators for England, Wales and Northern Ireland, and is part of the National Qualifications Framework (NQF).
This qualification uses a grading model of Not Yet Achieved, Pass, Merit, Distinction, Distinction* (P/M/D/D*) which will improve student motivation and provide challenge, distinguish between levels of student achievement and ensure sufficient rigour in assessments.
A minimum of 30 GLH of this qualification's content is subject to external assessment, which is supported by rigorous assessment arrangements. This will help to ensure the present vocational qualification offers a comparable level of challenge to academic qualifications.
There is a teaching resource pack available to order for this qualification. For more information click here.
There is an Establishing the Standards powerpoint. To download click here.
To view a recorded moderation webinar for this qualification please click here
To view a recorded feedback on first exams webinar for this qualification please click here
To view the supporting PowerPoint for the first exams webinar please click here
To view a recorded assignment support webinar for this qualification please click here
NEW - To view a recorded question and answer webinar for this qualification please click here
Statement of Purpose
Who is this qualification for?
The VTCT Level 2 Certificate in Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy (VRQ) is a Technical Award specifically for 14-16 year olds. This qualification aims to support young people to:
- develop a broad and comprehensive understanding of the hair and beauty sector
- develop knowledge which spans the entire vocational sector and related industries
- develop academic study and transferable skills that will support progression within the hair and beauty sector and more broadly
Hairdressing and beauty therapy has been and remains an extremely popular vocational area that many young people are enthused by and aspire too. The aim of this qualification is to use the hair and beauty sector as a vehicle to develop learners more broadly, so they are prepared and equipped with the knowledge, understanding and skills to pursue a career in any context.
What will learners study as part of this qualification?
This qualification includes two mandatory units that can be applied to any sector or vocational area. In this qualification, learners will use hairdressing and beauty therapy and related industries (i.e. retail, leisure, fashion, marketing, media, business) to develop themselves and, in particular, the skills and attributes prized by employers, further education colleges and higher education institutions. The units that make up this qualification include:
- Understanding the hair and beauty sector (mandatory) - in this unit learners will develop an understanding of the structure and importance of the hair and beauty sector. They will also learn about the products used, and services and treatments provided throughout the sector as well as career opportunities.
- Hair and beauty research project (mandatory) - in this unit learners learn how to plan a hair and beauty research project. Learners will then produce a research proposal and conduct their research into a particular topic area of the hair and beauty sector.
- Business enterprise in hair and beauty (optional) - in this unit learners will research and develop new ideas for a business enterprise in hair or beauty.
- Marketing and promotions in hair and beauty (optional) - in this unit learners will look at a hair or beauty business and then develop their own marketing materials and activities to support a product or service.
- Hair and beauty science (optional) - in this unit learners will develop an understanding of the chemistry of hair and beauty products. They will also learn about the anatomy of the skin and hair and produce a formulation for a hair and beauty product.
- Responding to a hair and beauty design brief (optional) - in this unit learners will develop an understanding of design briefs throughout the hair and beauty sector. They will then be set a specific design brief to which they have to respond by researching the area, presenting their ideas and justifying their choices.
Through undertaking this qualification learners will also develop a range of transferable skills including:
- Critical thinking and being reflective on self-performance and work produced
- Use of initiative, planning and researching skills, self-management, self-motivation and the ability to work independently
- Innovation and creativity
- Application of knowledge and understanding to real life examples and businesses
- Problem solving
- Communication skills - verbal, written and visual.
In addition to these transferable skills, learning about sectors, carrying out research, exploring businesses and new ideas for businesses, planning marketing activities and producing marketing materials, exploring science and technology, and responding to design briefs are all general skills that be applied to a vast range of topics and will prepare learners to progress to further learning in a broad range of subject areas.
Which subjects will complement this qualification?
This qualification covers a wide range of subject areas and will be well complemented by both GCSEs and other Technical Awards in related subject areas. Specific subject areas related to this qualification include, maths, English, science, fashion, travel and tourism and business studies.
Mandatory Group - from this group you'll need to cover a minimum of 2 units.
Optional Group - from this group you'll need to cover a minimum of 2 units.
*For full details of the Rules of Combination for this qualification please see the Qualification Specification/Record of Assessment book.
Centres approved to run this qualification
VTCT accredits centres to offer our qualifications, but cannot advise which centres are running particular courses at any time. Please contact the centre directly to find out if they currently offering your chosen qualification.
NB: The location displayed for each centre is based upon the centre's main address. The location displayed is not necessarily the only location that the centre can deliver VTCT qualifications from. For further information on a centre's delivery capabilities please select the centre's website address.